Friday, October 28, 2011

PRSSA National Conference '11: Dream Jobs

This year Missouri State University sent six people from our PRSSA Chapter to the PRSSA National Conference in Orlando, Florida. From getting funding to driving 18 hours to networking with professionals, it was definitely an adventure for the #vantasy crew.  

Chelly Harrison attended one of the sessions at conference about fashion PR. Here is what Chelly learned from her session.

Emily Pyles, Susan Venker, Doug Gaehle, Sara McClendon, Brooke Doerhoff, and Chelly Harrison
I attended a fascinating forum while in Orlando for the PRSSA National Conference just a short week ago. A 50-minute long lecture/Q & A with one of the fashion insdustry's leading public relations influencers, Margaux Caniato spoke with us about her involvement across the globe with fashion. I found it most interesting that she received her degree from the Fashion Institute of Technology in NY and now works on some of the largest fashion campaigns in the world, most recently the Moussy project. 

The Moussy project is a Japanese inspired line that aims to accentuate personality while setting and defining new trends. Moussy was brought to the US., and Contelli gave a run down of her PR tactics and plans to launch this new line into the public eye head first. I won't go into detail of how she planted publicity stunts and staged appreances in downtown New York, but I will expand what I learned from her stories.

I took away from this forum that in order to land a dream job or an exciting assingment in fashion (or any PR for that matter) it takes a lot of networking and understanding of the audience you are working for and the people around you. I have never studied fashion, but I gained a great respect and passion for it. I know now I need to learn everything I can about industries and companies I am interested in to eventually land my dream job.

For more information regarding the I'm Moussy campaingn and the clothing itself, follow them on Twitter @ImMoussyNY

Michelle Harrison is a senior PR student at Missouri State University and a proud sister of Alpha Chi Omega Women's Fraternity. Her true passion lies in entertainment PR and is currently interning for Silver Dollar City's publicity deprtment in Branson, Missouri. After graduation, Michelle hopes to leave Missouri and head west in the pursuit of happiness and a career in Public Relations.



No comments:

Post a Comment