Friday, April 6, 2012

The Most Important Thing on My Resume

With graduation around the corner, I cannot help but reflect on this year and my entire college career. From the hours that labored over projects to the friendships I have made, Missouri State has given me a great experience that I will never forget.

However, I would not be the professional I am today without PRSSA and being on the executive board this past year. PRSSA is the most important thing on my resume:


Why I Joined PRSSA

I did not choose PRSSA. When I first transferred to Missouri State, I avoided getting involved in school at all costs. That year for Christmas, my Aunt Pam, who is a PR professor at Belmont, gave me a PRSSA membership. To be honest, I did not know what to do with it. My first semester in the society I attended one meeting.

The next semester I decided to get involved as the Community Relations Chair. I learned so much about emailing professionals and organizing volunteers. The following Spring I got elected as Chapter Delegate and had the amazing opportunity to go to National Assembly in Seattle, Wa.

This experience changed everything for me. My passion for PR was ignited, and nothing could stop me.

What I Learned on Exec Board


I then got elected to serve as Chapter Vice President for 2011-2012, and this year has been unforgettable. As Vice President, I learned how to work with a team, plan professional events, manage an organization's communications and behave at regional professional conferences.

I highly recommend every PR student to consider being a part of the executive board, because unlike an internship, you have autonomy to learn what you want to learn. I discovered the site MailChimp at my internship and wanted to learn everything I could about it, so I started using MailChimp for our weekly email updates.

Also, being a part of the executive board, I have become connected to numerous PR students across the United States, who are the next PR superstars and my current friends. I have learned so much about public relations and social media from being connected with them, and I know that my connection to them will only continue to benefit me.

How YOU Can Get on the Executive Board

Elections for exec board is right around the corner! We have SEVEN open executive positions open. If you are looking for a boost to your resume or a way to make more lovely PR friends, consider running for an office. Applications are due on Tuesday, April 10 at 5 p.m. and elections will be on Tuesday, April at 5:30 p.m. For more information, go here. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about running for an office or my experience on the exec board this year.

Bethany Parry—Vice President: Bethany is a senior at Missouri State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. As Vice President, she promotes professional development, manages communications, and supports the president in anyway needed. You can contact her at Bethany08@live.missouristate.edu or follow her on Twitter at @bparry08.

No comments:

Post a Comment